News - Useful
Researchers find canine brains are far more capable than thought!
13:15 - 30 August 2016
A groundbreaking hungarian study to investigate how dog brains process speech has revealed canines care about both what we say and how we say it.
It discovered that dogs, like people, use the left hemisphere to process words, and the right hemisphere brain region to process intonation - wrote the Dailymail.
It found praise activates dog's reward centre only when both words and intonation match, according to the new study in Science.
Researchers also say dogs developed the neural mechanisms to process words much earlier than thought.
'The human brain not only separately analyzes what we say and how we say it, but also integrates the two types of information, to arrive at a unified meaning.
'Our findings suggest that dogs can also do all that, and they use very similar brain mechanisms,' said lead researcher Attila Andics of Department of Ethology and MTA-ELTE Comparative Ethology Research Group at Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest.
Andics and colleagues also found that praise activated dogs' reward centre – the brain region which responds to all sorts of pleasurable stimuli, like food, sex, being petted, or even nice music in humans.
Index image source: urdogs.com
If you liked this article and would like to be informed about latest news
we ask give a like our Facebook page!
The beneficial effects of dog kisses
A sentence that is often told to children „ Don't let the dog lick you, you will be sick of it!” But should we really protect ourselves against dog saliva? Or should we rather allow them to do it because saliva can be healing as well...
Dogs Are Like Their Owners? – They Can Be Pessimistic, Too
Optimists are good learners – they always hope for the best. Luckily, the majority of dogs are optimistic. We could say they are actually smart...
Most liked articles
- 10 simple tips to keep your dog healthy (+13 like)
- 11 Signs You Really Are a Crazy Dog Person (+3 like)
- Pumpkin-Carvings of Dog Breeds (+2 like)
- 4+1 dog friendly beaches in the Island of Krk in Croatia (+2 like)
- The beneficial effects of dog kisses (+2 like)
- A new plaque scheme has launched to celebrate amazing animals (+1 like)
- R.I.P. Dog (+0 like)
- Dogs Are Like Their Owners? – They Can Be Pessimistic, Too (+0 like)
- Give Olive Oil to Your Dog (+0 like)
- The healing power of love – a Husky adopted an orphaned kitten (+0 like)